- 6 lamb or mutton shanks, or 1 to 2 neck or shoulder chops chops per person.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) flour
- Oil to brown the meat
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped, or 2 tins of tomato in juice
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Large tablespoon of apricot Jam
- 2 table spoons Worcestershire sauce
- Chop tomatoes (if using fresh tomatoes) and sprinkle with sugar and lemon zest.
- Roll the lamb in the flour before browning the meat in heated oil. Use a heavy casserole or frying pan with a tightly-fitting lid for slow gentle simmering.
- Add bay leaves and onions and gently cook until onions have softened.
- Add salt and pepper, peppercorns, tomatoes, and apricot jam plus Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and simmer gently for for about 2 hours. Do not boil!
- Add potatoes, cover and continue to cook for another 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve with steamed rice and a good bottle of Red wine preferably a Merlot