Sunday, May 30, 2010

Batmobile up for sale darn takes me back to being a boy!

When I was a young boy Batman was like the second in command to Superman but hell Batman had a car and what a car it was! This car had more gadgets than a Swiss army knife mated to a magician. As kids we drooled after this car and spent long hours pretending to drive it
--
Briton Mark Perkins has hoarded the ultimate collection of must-have movie motors - including the Flintstones car, Batman's Batcycle, Mr Bean's Mini, Starsky and Hutch's Ford Torino and 007's Aston Martin from the film Goldfinger.

And alongside the impressive collection of originals currently stored in the basement of his home in Ascot, Berkshire are exact replicas of the Batmobile, Ghostbusters' cadillac style limo and Noddy's Toyland car.

But now the 47-year-old petrolhead has made the tough decision to part with his prized Batmobile, which he bought in 1988 and customised with the help of renowned custom coach builder, Bill Chaplin.

It is based on a Lincoln Continental chassis and was built to a similar specification as the original car in the 60s.
It is going under the hammer in an auction on June 2 in Surrey and expected to fetch in the region of £40 000.

"It is sitting in my garage collecting dust. I don't really want to sell it - it has done absolutely everything," he said.

The property developer said: "(Collecting cars) is a nice sideline hobby. We look all over the world for them.

"I have been doing it for more than 20 years now and have got a nice collection of vehicles which I store in my basement, but I am starting to run out of room.

"It's all right to have a Ferrari or a Bentley but it's not my cup of tea. Classic cars from films and unusual things are my hobby.

"But classic cars, and this one in particular, should be driven to be enjoyed, and I've loved taking it on the road over the years.

"However, I will have little time to do so in the future, and so sadly it's time someone else derived pleasure of ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment