Thai Chicken Curry serves 2 to 4
A traditional Thai curry, the red chicken curry is made with a subtle blend of salty, sweet, sour and hot flavours. Whether you are cooking for your family or a group of guests, this easy recipe allows you to serve up and enjoy a lovely, tasty dinner.
Ingredients – main:
½ chicken, cut into parts or the equivalent weight of prepared chicken portions
1 tbsp lime juice
½ tsp cinnamon
fresh basil and coriander for garnish
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2-3 tomatoes, sliced into wedges
Optional: 1 aubergine, chopped into bite-size pieces (leave skin on)
Ingredients – red curry sauce:
1 tin coconut milk
½ cup red onions, sliced
1 thumb-size piece of ginger
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp fish sauce*
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 heaped tsp. brown sugar
2 tsp shrimp paste, substitute anchovy paste if not available
Optional: 1 fresh red chili (minced) OR 1 tsp dried chili flakes OR 1 tsp cayenne pepper
*Ingredient substitution: for one tablespoon fish sauce, use one tablespoon soy sauce mixed with one anchovy fillet (finely minced).
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place chicken pieces in a large casserole dish.
- Place all curry sauce ingredients in a food processor blender. Process well.
- Pour the curry sauce over the chicken.
- Stir well and make sure that each chicken piece is covered with sauce.
- Add the lime juice and cinnamon.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes at 180°C.
- Remove dish from the oven.
- Add the vegetables and stir them into the sauce.
- Return the curry to the oven for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is well cooked.
- Dish the curry into a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle generously with fresh basil and coriander.
- Serve with Thai rice or Basmati rice.
Perfect food for a cold winters day this feeds the soul as well as the tummy :0)